Welcome to Year 1 Murphy Class
Welcome back, I hope you enjoyed your summer holidays! This is where you can find out about our learning in Year1, our current topics and any useful websites to help you at home.
You can also see some pictures of our classroom and some of our activities. Don’t forget to follow the school Twitter page for more updates of what we are up to in Murphy class!
Take a look around our classroom...
Autumn 1 Topic
Who am I?
Welcome back to the Autumn term!
Our topic this half term will be 'Who am I?'.
During this unit we will be focusing on Society, Art, Physical Education, Science, Geography and International.
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
• About the different groups we belong to
• About the things that make us feel happy
• How to deal with anger
• How to stay safe
• How to make an emergency phone call
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
• How to draw portraits and self-portraits
• How to take a portrait photograph
• About portraits by famous painters and sculptors
• How to design a favourite menu
In Physical Education, we’ll be finding out:
• What activities we can do well
• How we can stay fit and strong
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
• About how our hearts work
• About how we are similar to and different from other people
• About different types of foods
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
• Which countries we or our ancestors have come from
• How to find our local area on a map
• About different countries we have lived in
In International, we’ll be finding out:
• About the way children in our host country and home countries live
Our Literacy learning will begin with two weeks focusing on lists, labels and captions before moving on to a Whole school unit. We will be creating our own success criteria regarding what makes a good label, list or caption. For example; Labels - placed in the correct place and using capital letters. We will continue to build on and use our phonic knowledge to create our own sentences throughout this half-term. In Maths we will be consolidating our knowledge of number, looking at ways to make 10 and 20, addition and subtraction. We are looking forward to lots of lovely Science experiments linking to our IPC topic!
If there is anything you need to ask or find out then we are here to help so please contact the school to arrange a time to chat.
We look forward to working with you all.
Miss Willer and the Year 1 team
Here are some photos of our fabulous learning!
The web links below might help you even more at home.